Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Detox bath, better than Ambien

When I found this interesting Pin I was met with my usual skepticism, though because lately all of these organic, home-remedies have really been paying off, and with the mention of it being a sleep aid after some research, I pounced on it. I wasn't feeling very good last night and thought I might be getting sick, and I knew that I needed to get some serious sleep.

Here is the recipe that I followed: http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Detox-Bath

There are a few variations flying around Pinterest but the basics are:
1. Bathe in water as hot as you can stand it without feeling like you are going to melt, with 2 cups of epsom salt in it. 
2. Sweat your balls off for 20-40 minutes
3. You'll feel dizzy and drained, be careful when you get out.

The recipe calls for:

1. At least 2 cups of Epsom Salt
2. 2 cups of baking soda
3. 1 tbsp - 1/3 of a cup of ground ginger
4. A few drops of aromatherapy oils

 I didn't add essential oils with the fear of my skin reacting to it when my pores are open, many of the pins recommend you don't use any kind of soap or bubble bath because while your body is releasing the toxins through your open pores they can ingest the chemicals and toxins from the soaps (Look at me using the word 'toxins,' and 'detox,' better go get me some soy milk and start weaving my own hemp-clothes).

There were a few more issues I encountered when trying out this recipe:

1. What the hell is Epsom Salt in german
2. Finding boxes of baking soda with more than 1 tsp. is extremely difficult, if not impossible.

So here is what I used:


The literal translation of Epsom salt to german is "Bittersaltz", this was not called that but I am assuming that it might be a loose term for the direct translation, which is okay. I looked on the back and it contained an awful lot of magnesium, so I figured it was the same thing. After I got home and opened it it smelled/felt like the Epsom Salt I had at home, so I went with it. The ginger is just regular ground ginger from the grocery store, and I used 2 tablespoons of it. I opted out of the baking soda, too.
So I lit some candles, played some super relaxing music, and had myself a sweat-fest. Let me just say, it was incredible. I find it really hard to turn my brain off and just focus on relaxing, so it took me a long time before I could get into a calm state, just focusing on deep breathing and letting go of as much tension as I could. When I got out of the bath I was extremely weak and dizzy, I kept all the lights off as I moisturized with baby oil then staggered off to my bedroom, where I lit candles in there, kept the music playing, and SLEPT FOR 13 HOURS. Also, it was the first time in months I've fallen asleep before 1am.

That alone is a miracle. I will probably do it again tonight since I am feeling quite sick, and I'm going to need the sleep. I highly recommend the detox bath, but don't plan on doing anything but passing out afterwards.

1 comment:

  1. Where did you find baking soda? I am told it is available at pharmacies, but I haven't tried yet, since my mom brought me a couple boxes last year and I am working my way through. At the supermarkets all I can find is bäkpulver, which is baking powder, not soda. There is also something called Kaiser Natron which is an OK substitute in a lot of recipes.

    ReplyDelete