Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sleep Restriction Therapy: Day 6 +

My sleep restriction therapy pattern was thrown off by an insane heat wave that we had here in Offenburg, and now that our week of summer has passed I can give an accurate summary of my trials.

1. SRT is beneficial, it's difficult and had me in a place more than once where I was so tired that I was furious, having a mental temper tantrum because I just wanted to go to sleep.

2. If you are going to try SRT, you have to go all the way. Sleeping in a day here and there will throw off your body's rhythm even more than it was thrown off when you started.

3. It really does help, but it is hard work. Shitty memory, nearly falling asleep in the middle of the day, not being able to focus, these are all things that are normal and that will happen during the process, if you aren't able to deal with them for whatever reason then you should not try it.

 I want to try it again, but I'm afraid the next month or so of my work schedule which will be different than how it normally is will prevent me from being able to fully commit to the program. So far the benefits have been really good, but because of an extra hot night and the particularly lazy and comfortable temperature that filled my bedroom the afternoon following, I fell asleep during the day which royally screwed my sleep schedule once again.

Once my 2 months of crazy in terms of work are over I can see myself trying it again, until then I have simply vowed to restrict myself from my bedroom unless I am going to sleep, which helps quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment